- B&D: Bondage & Dominance or Bondage & Discipline.
- S&M: Sadism & Masochism.
- D&S: Dominance & Submission.
- Bondage: Restraining someone by use of ropes, hand cuffs or various other
- Discipline: A power exchange where one person *punishes* another.
- Dominance & Submission: D&S is an erotic power game, where one person gets off on
the thrill of controlling, the other on the thrill of being controlled.
- Sadism: A form of giving intense stimulation(s) (physical or mental) or pain to
- Masochism: Receiving intense stimulation(s) (physical or mental) or pain.
A few Statements about BDSM
- BDSM has nothing to do with violence against a helpless person. To tie up someone and
beat him up is not SM but sole brutality.
- A SM relationship is always based on mutual consent and care for the partner, everything
else is abuse/rape.
- Communication between the partners is the base of such a relationship, if you are not
able to establish a proper communication with your partner about your wishes and
expectation keep your fingers off this sexual practices.
- Respect and responsibility for your partner is not only important but absolutely
- The Power Exchange between two partners can be something wonderful erotic (yes, Power
and Erotic have something in common).
- BDSM includes many aspects: Power exchange and Role-playing, love, sexuality, curiosity
- the term is a synonym for many aspects of human desires and when you ask 10 people in
the scene what BDSM means for them you will probably get 15 answers.
- An advice at the end: Laughter belongs into BDSM too - Fun and joy should be an
existential part of our lives. If a "scene/game" does not work well a laugh can
save the situation: "Take it with humor".
Safer BDSM - General Tips
Author: Ashtarot - 02.10.1997
Info: © 2000 Ashtarot/BDSM Backroom
Keywords: BDSM Definition